Friday, October 21, 2011

Friday Frenzy

Blogtoberfest: Day 21

Normally my list of things to do on Fridays is filled and crazy with a variety of activity. This weekend, however, I really only have one major thing that I am doing. One "to do" that will be filled with many things.

I am paying it forward.

I am volunteering to help roof, side, paint, and fix up a family's home in Mississippi. My day job is sponsoring a 3 day trip to help a client deliver services to a deserving family.

I am beyond excited! I love to give back.

Growing up, my parents always were involved in our community. I grew up in a small town of 5,000 people in Wisconsin. Yes, the type of town where everyone knows everyone else.

They taught my brother and me that there was always someone who had less. Helping to make our community a better place was a way of life - it is just what we did. Oh, and they still do.

They also taught us that when a friend or a stranger needed help you offered and helped. I have fond memories of building a garage, a deck, a home addition, building my Dad's business/shop, and roofing.

So, my frenzy for Saturday, Sunday and Monday is as follows:

  • Give, unconditionally.
  • Lend a hand.
  • Provide skills of building/roofing. Thank you Daddy for teaching me how to swing a hammer and use power tools!
  • Embrace the power of making a difference.

There is so much to learn when you give of yourself to help someone else. Someone that you've never met. Someone who doesn't have the means to help themselves. It is often filled with emotion.

I am so grateful to have this opportunity.

How do you give back? Have YOU paid it forward lately?

I encourage to embrace the ability to give and share your skills to help someone else, someone you don't know. I promise that it will change your life and allow you be even more grateful of what you do have in this world.

1 comment:

  1. Lori, how exciting and rewarding!! I think it's wonderful that your company is sponsoring a 3 day trip to help "spread the love"!! I love hearing stories like this.

    And you're obviously a good person to volunteer for something like this in the first place. Paying it forward always makes one feel so good, doesn't it? I can't wait to hear about it.

    I'm sure you're a killer roofer... :-)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...