Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Day 15 May Flower Challenge - Bethesda Terrace

Welcome to day 15 of the May Flower Challenge.

I'm fascinated with flowers. They are all over my tiny apartment. I photograph them all the time. I draw, paint, doodle them, create them out of paper... I also see them all over the NYC. Each day I will post flowers and I hope that you will join in. The only rules are that your blog post or flickr photo that you link must contain flowers. Click above on the May Flower Challenge Page to learn more.  

On Mother's Day, Superman and I ventured across Central Park to an outdoor artists fair on Columbus Avenue.  On our walk back, we stopped by Bethesda Terrace which is located at 72nd in the heart of Central Park.

 The fountain (not easily seen below, sorry) is by Emma Stebbins who was the first woman to receive a commission for a public major work of art in NYC. 


The panels, railings, etc were designed by Jacob Wrey Mould and constructed started in 1859. You can read more about it here at the NYC Parks website.  


The sandstone carvings represent the four seasons.


I have walked past, sat for hours listening to music, watched people, ran up and down the stairs hundreds of times during the past 10+ years that I have lived in NYC. 

But, for the first time on Sunday, I noticed more of the flowers. I always knew they were there because I had seen them before but this time I really looked at them. And, I'm in love. 


What do you walk past every day that you have noticed for the first time again?

Are there flowers in the architecture in your town?

Participate by linking your blog post to my blog post. Each day during May, starting on May 1st, on my blog post I will have a linkytool available so that you can link your specific blog post (not just your blog but the post itself) to my blog post. And, please remember to link back.

Participate by linking to the flickr group - May Flower Challenge- and adding a photo of your flower creation. Make sure you add your photo to the linky below each day that you post.

6 comments:

  1. Lori, I am so enjoying this May Flower Challenge. I was in NYC a few year ago and really want to go back. Exciting place to live and so much to see and do!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely no flowers in the architecture here:) Those are beautiful! I cant believe all the detail. (great job with the challenge!) Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. no such beautiful things where I live....oh new york its a destination on my bucket list for sure

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...what intricate designs. No such architecture in this part of the town though Bangalore has a lot of beautiful buildings. I live in the newer parts where all buildings are the just plain drab looking ones. And thanks for hosting this challenge that I'm enjoying so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you're able to find all these architectural flowers - they truly are everywhere, aren't they? Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously, the architecture in New York is amazing!! Thanks again for sharing with us Lori xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...