Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Day 23 May Flower Challenge & WOYWW

 Welcome to day 23 of the May Flower Challenge.

I'm fascinated with flowers. They are all over my tiny apartment. I photograph them all the time. I draw, paint, doodle them, create them out of paper... I also see them all over the NYC. Each day I will post flowers and I hope that you will join in. The only rules are that your blog post or flickr photo that you link must contain flowers. Click above on the May Flower Challenge Page to learn more.  

This week I moved my desk to my bed. (Yes, the joys of a small apartment and a small desk.)

I wanted to change the flowers that have hung above my bed for years. When I first moved into this apartment I bought canvases and used my pastels to create some flower art which you will see below eventually.  

I love the wall clings/decals that you can buy on etsy. I especially love the flowers shaped ones and I figured that I could make them myself. Living in an apartment means I am not allowed to paint the walls so I decided to I created my own decals.

I went to local hardware store and purchased some contact paper - yes, the kind that your mother used to line the kitchen shelves. I chose a lovely red swirl on white design. Keeping it subtle since my bedroom wall is also my living area wall and we would see it every day all the time.

I first cut out a flower trying to keep it whole.


 Next, I cut around the flower that I just cut out creating another flower outline this time.


Then I cut out a bunch of small flowers.


The old pictures are on the top and the new do it yourself wall cling/decals are below.


Here is a closer photo. Sorry that I had to use a flash but it has been overcast and rainy in NYC during the past 3 days.


I really love how they turned out. I'm thinking though that 2 large flowers may not be enough. I think I may need to add some more.

Have you done any DIY projects lately?

Besides posting for my May Flower Challenge I am also linking up with What's On Your Workdesk Wednesday - WOYWW over at Stamping-Ground so hop on over and visit a few desks to see what everyone has been working on this past week.


Participate by linking your blog post to my blog post. Each day during May, starting on May 1st, on my blog post I will have a linkytool available so that you can link your specific blog post (not just your blog but the post itself) to my blog post. And, please remember to link back.

Participate by linking to the flickr group - May Flower Challenge- and adding a photo of your flower creation. Make sure you add your photo to the linky below each day that you post.


12 comments:

  1. What a great idea Lori. They turned out so well. I'm so glad you started this May flower series. I wish I had felt I could have participated as I love, love flowers and take pictures of them all the time. It has been so enjoyable to follow your's and other's posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great project! Maybe some leaves and vines would fill in the design a bit more.

    Happy Woyww,

    Sandy #129

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a creative idea and so dynamic and unexpected. I agree it could use a little something more though it's hard to tell how big these are. I love the little ones scattered inside the bigger flower. Thanks for hosting this fun challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very clever. If I may, I agree a few more would look even better! #148

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so clever, they turned out fabulous. Love them all and I like the old ones too.
    Have a great week.
    Von #22

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that is a clever idea and I am sure you saved a lot on the cost of those decals. Have a lovely week.
    Sandra @57

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so creative of you! Take care & enjoy WOYWW, hoping your Thursday is a lovely one! Zo xx 80

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a clever idea. I love how they turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, you know me...more is better! Have fun figuring it out! They are very clever.Don't you love it when you can kill two birds with one stone? (What a gross saying, but I can't think of a replacement!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice!! I love DIY projects!

    Jeannie #75

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love making flowers- all kinds.Love yours.
    Judy #5

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a clever idea they look great.

    Eliza #49
    queenartoypia.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...