Thursday, May 3, 2012

Day 3 May Flower Challenge

Welcome to day 3 of the May Flower Challenge. I'm fascinated with flowers. They are all over my tiny apartment. I photograph them all the time. I draw, paint, doodle them, create them out of paper... I also see them all over the NYC. Each day I will post flowers and I hope that you will join in. The only rules are that your blog post or flickr photo that you link must contain flowers. Click above on the May Flower Challenge Page to learn more. 

I am working on a project to spread a little kindness to my colleagues and friends, as well a few strangers. 

Do you remember the red poppies that you used to buy (here in the States) from the American Legion people around Memorial Day? In the small town that I grew up in, the local American Legion members would be near the banks giving away poppies for a donation. I remember that I always enjoyed wrapping the poppy around the button on my jacket and I wore it proudly. This project is inspired by the red poppies and my childhood memories of them.

I recently signed up with Hopeful World and have received the first of seven free messages. I was asked to leave 5 random messages of inspiration in a public place for others to find.

So, I'm creating flowers to spread a little kindness and sunshine next Monday.


I recently visited my local hardware store, yes, the one with the orange logo and I took some paint cards/chips. I love to make paper flowers out of the paint cards/chips.


So, I'm cutting flowers out (yes, with a scissor - it is less obvious while sitting at my day job desk while on a conference call if I cut them out with a scissor and not an X-acto knife).


Next steps, cut out more flowers. Each flower will receive a wire stem and a paper message taped to the stem. Besides the few that I will randomly place in public (on the bus, in a park, etc) I also plan to display a paper flower bouquet on my desk so that people could stop by and select and take a message when they need one. 


By the way, I bet you won't look at the wall of paint cards/chips the same way next time you are at your hardware store. 


How can you spread a little kindness in your world? 


Participate by linking your blog post to my blog post. Each day during May, starting on May 1st, on my blog post I will have a linkytool available so that you can link your specific blog post (not just your blog but the post itself) to my blog post. And, please remember to link back.

Participate by linking to the flickr group - May Flower Challenge- and adding a photo of your flower creation. Make sure you add your photo to the linky below each day that you post.




7 comments:

  1. What a great way to spread your kindness today! You are going to put smiles on a lot of faces.

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I use those paint samples for all sorts of things too; it's a great source of colorful, FREE paper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely idea for spreading kindness - I would be interested in knowing what words of inspiration you will choose to write on them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great challenge and I will be checking back to see what everyone is up to... I just wish tat I had many more hours in the day... this is just so you to encourage and support other people while exploring your own creativity... love that...xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea Lori! just love the spreading of kindness. Will you secretly photograph them where you leave them?? Curious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aren't you just the kindest, most lovely soul!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a way to spread the kindness. We do need more of it... Love your post today and sorry I am late getting started. I will have to dig around and share. Judith, Texas

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...