Thursday, May 10, 2012

Day 10 May Flower Challenge

 Welcome to day 10 of the May Flower Challenge.

I'm fascinated with flowers. They are all over my tiny apartment. I photograph them all the time. I draw, paint, doodle them, create them out of paper... I also see them all over the NYC. Each day I will post flowers and I hope that you will join in. The only rules are that your blog post or flickr photo that you link must contain flowers. Click above on the May Flower Challenge Page to learn more. 

Today, I'll be honest, I am tired. No, not tired of the challenge but just plain tired. I have a more than full time day job and I traveled Tuesday. It was a long day; up at 5am and not in bed until after 11pm. I am usually tired the next day but it is the day after that seems to bite me in the butt harder and that my friends is today. Needless to say no creating during the past 2 days and I can tell that I need my fix of doodling so I may need to sneak a few doodles in while trying to stay awake at my desk.

So today, I am going to share some photos. Today is all about perspective and how you see the flowers in your world.

Sometime you can change the way a flower looks by changing how you look at it.

We almost always see flowers from above or the side but what if you laid your camera on the ground, looked up and took the picture?

Well, this would happen.


And, this next picture was taken with my 35mm and I blurred the background. This is called the depth of field in photography. If you are using a 35mm camera and you want a blurred background change the f-stops (smaller the number the more blur you will get).


Here is another example. I wanted to capture the water droplets on one of the single flowers of this phlox plant. 



I love to set my flowers against a plain background. Since the flowers that I take pictures of are all alive (I don't cut them and do still life photos) sometimes this can mean that I look a little silly when I take pictures. This picture of the cherry blossoms against the blue sky wasn't so difficult (and trust me, for a few other shots I have been laughed just because of the position I was in when I was taking the picture). I just laid in the grass and took photos straight up. 


I hope that you are taking the time to capture the flowers around you. Whether you photograph, draw, stitch, paint, doodle, collage, create them out of paper or have another fun way of making of flowers.

Participate by linking your blog post to my blog post. Each day during May, starting on May 1st, on my blog post I will have a linkytool available so that you can link your specific blog post (not just your blog but the post itself) to my blog post. And, please remember to link back.

Participate by linking to the flickr group - May Flower Challenge- and adding a photo of your flower creation. Make sure you add your photo to the linky below each day that you post.




5 comments:

  1. Great idea about photographing from a different perspective. I've done that too - think I'll post a couple of my results tomorrow; it was a fun experiment. I see you have photo-heart connections - you must be reading Kat's posts. I love her blog too. Happy Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely flower pics. Sending energy vibes your way ((()))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, Lori--beautiful, but I especially love the first white one that is all by itself in profile. It's so perfect it's almost unreal!

    I love seeing your great posts everyday.

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes, exhausting sounding day Lori and yet you managed to share these super gorgeous photos. Thanks for the tips. I have a message from the universe that I just shared, thought of you... Have a good night's sleep! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely lovely pics Lori! My favorite is the one with the white bell like flowers where you've blurred the background. I wonder what these flowers are known as.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...